Re: [IRCA] FW: Delivery status notification

Re: [IRCA] FW: Delivery status notification

Duh!  Thank you for providing the RIGHT answer, Scott.  I've been working too long today, and I got it backwards.  Either too much spam has been coming from that Comcast host, OR Comcast recently acquired that IP address and it had been associated with a spammer.  The trick is to find out WHICH blacklist flags that IP address.  Report that one to Comcast and let them deal with it.

  Mike
  crow in mouth

Scott Fybush <scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Jim Pogue wrote:
> Patrick, this is what I am getting when I try to e-mail you directly. It
> looks like Web TV may be seeing my e-mail address as spam. I'm bumfuzzled!?

That's just what's happening - here's the key line:

> SMTP: host 209.240.204.26: 556
> : Client host rejected:
> Resource unavailable - listed by external RBL
> http://info.webtv.net/spam/index.html#76.96.62.24

And if you follow that "helpful" link, you get a webpage that explains
MSN/WebTV's semi-brain-dead "spam-prevention" policy, which probably
does very little in real life to prevent spam.

But in a nutshell, your particular IP has apparently been listed on an
unspecified "external RBL" - a "realtime blacklist" that attempts to
track the IP addresses used by spammers, which is nearly useless when
you're dealing with dynamic IP addresses on large ISPs that might be
used by a spammer one minute and by innocent Jim the next.

That "helpful" link includes a form at the end to input your IP address
to see what its blacklist status is. It claims that Jim's IP isn't
blocked, though it clearly is.

Like I said, the policy is braindead. Good luck changing it, though...