Re: [IRCA] TPs for 18 Nov

Nick

It's interesting how we both reported similar conditions this morning
with respect to the big picture, but much different experiences with
individual stations.  Maybe it's a matter of when we tuned past
individual channels, or maybe local conditions had something to do with
it.  Some can be explained by our respective locals (preventing me from
hearing weaker stuff like 711 and 954, likewise, you probably didn't
hear the het I had on 1071).

Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
> Pretty darn good morning on the lower band, but should have started
> earlier than 1500UT judging by signal strengths when I tuned in; I
> listened from 1500 to 1540.
>
> For example, best signals from 594 (just the slightest hint of
> splatter in the background; it peaked at 1508 according the
> propagation monitor) and 558 this season.

you and Gary both reported 594 with strong signals.  They were pretty weak for me - I could barely recognize the language. Maybe I just tuned in at the wrong time....

>   But, as always for this
> time of year, a good deal of variability.  747 didn't really start to
> deliver until 1540UT s/off,
I had consistently good audio on 747 starting at 1355, until around 1520
when I finally gave up.  By then 747 was dropping into the mud.
> and while 639 was good from China, 945
> and 936 were hardly there.

No sign of 639 here but I have a local on 630.  945 was quite noticeable
here, but hard to copy due to splatter from my 950 local.  963 was a
teeny blip about 2-3 db above the noise.
> The upper band, as observed by others, just didn't deliver.  I was
> surprised to see that Bruce heard 1287, as by the time I got there
> about 1525UT, they were a not particularly good carrier.
I wasn't in the upper part of the dial after 1500, since it had been so
dismal earlier.  I did nonetheless have genuine audio on 1287 (though
not much of it) at about 1430.
>    At least
> 1566 showed some signs of life around 1530.
>
> (Asian unless noted)
>
> Darn good audio, if briefly:  594, 828

828 was barely there due to a local on 820
> Reasonable audio  (though often battling w/splash)  567, 639 CNR1, 774

774 had darn good audio here, in spite of a local on 770, no sign of 567
or 639
> Not so reasonable audio, occasional words in splash or noise: 558,
> 585, 612 (Japan, not Australia), 711, 819 (N. Korea w/hum on
> channel), 855 (also N. Korea w/hum), 873 (NHK2), 972 (2 stations on
> channel, separated by just under 1 Hertz),  1566

972 had reasonable audio, though a bit undermodulated.  855 was a hum,
no sign of 585 711 or 873.  558, 612  & 819 were hets here too.
> Burbles in the splatter:  675, 738, 846, 936, 945, 954, 1008, 1044,

846 & 936 were burbles, 738 & 1044 had reasonable audio, 945 not so
reasonable audio, 675 954 & 1008 were non-existent here
> 1134, 1242, 1575

1134 had not so reasonable audio (too much 1130 splatter), no sign of
1242 or 1575.
> strong carrier, no audio:  702 w/ a big hum (N. Korea?), 1206 also
> off channel, likely China

Nothing on 702, though there was a big hum on 720, and 1206 had
reasonable audio.