[IRCA] Back in Oklahoma + KYUK

Friends,

Our leave-taking from Orcas Island, WA was delayed about 12 hours
last Monday due to 90+mph winds, power outages and a totally messed
up ferry schedule (hey, 90 mph winds will DO that!)  However, after a
rocky start, it was smooth sailing across the Great Basin and down
the Prairie to our home in central Oklahoma. We arrived in late
afternoon Friday, after a thankfully boring trip.

My wife and I tend to idle the hours away across the West (probably
our 40th crossing, lifetime) by playing the "license plate game" and
listening to National Public Radio. About mid-week, there was a
feature on the rocketing price of gasoline. Rather than the now
too-familiar wringing of hands as various folks lament gasoline
hitting $3.00 or industry analysts warning that $4.00 is just over
the horizon, this report was about the MOST expensive gasoline in the
50 US states.... in isolated communities in Alaska. The town featured
was Bethel, an inland city in Alaska's sparsely settled southwest. No
roads reach Bethel and the gasoline is barged in up a long river to
reach the settlement. THe barge only arrives a couple of times a
year.  The price at the pump in Bethel, currently just over $7.00 per
gallon, is used in snow mobiles and the vehicles in town. There is
one long road in Bethel (several miles long, reaching the "suburbs")
but the gas prices there are still a very serious concern.
Interestingly, the price at the pump does not creep up in fairly
small increments like in the Lower 48 states. In Bethel, it remains
exactly stable until a new barge load comes in; then it REALLY jumps.
The report was done by the local NPR Affiliate in Bethel, KYUK-640AM,
which I recently heard on Orcas and from whom I just received a QSL.
Ain't this hobby great?

John B.