[IRCA] UTC time usage (was Re: WFAW DX Test)

[IRCA] UTC time usage (was Re: WFAW DX Test)

Saul wrote-

>I really like the idea of using UTC with DX test
> notifications. But there is no avoiding the risk of a
> time miscalculation.
This topic keeps popping up from time to time. There isn't any real problem
except in a persons mind. Most people I come across today (no matter of age
or race) can not add or substract in their heads. Just add 5 hours to your
time IF your in the Eastern time. What is so hard about that???

>>If using UTC, the person
> organizing the test would need to make sure they - and
> the engineer at the station- are both on the same page
> in converting local time to UTC.
This is true. We have already had one blown DX test because of time
differences, and the UTC question wasn't an issue.

> bottom line is I will happily go with the flow, but I
> I could get very used to doing al my DX reportage and
> communication in UTC, because it is universal.
> However, that does not change the fact that we would
> still have to take care with our time zone
> number-crunching.
I have been working with UTC, or GMT or Zulu time (what ever you want to
call it) since I was 6 years old (and FDR was president) and fail to see the
problem, except, as Paul wrote, they just don't want to use it. If an old
man can do I am sure all you kids can do it.

73's

Willis
Old Fort, TN