Re: [IRCA] AM BCB antenna system. Advice requested

Re: [IRCA] AM BCB antenna system. Advice requested

> My name is Larry Hagood (AD5VM) I've been a ham for about seven years but
> am just now getting into MW dxing.

Welcome!  Always nice to see a new name on the list!

> I just placed an order for some antenna gear and wanted to get an opinion
on my setup.

(snip)

The equipment will do fine.  If the receiver sensitivity isn't up to the
task, a DX Engineering RPA-1 will make up for it.

The KKOB xmtr may be an issue.  In that case, a notch filter may help, along
with some RF chokes to minimize ingress leakage.

Rather than a single wire, you may want to run two wires and phase them
against each other to null unwanted stations.  And I wouldn't bother with an
elevated wire.  These days the antenna systems are either an insulated wire
laid right on the ground, or two loop antennas phased against each other.
The wire antenna is called a Beverage On Ground (BOG).  The phased loops are
either homebrew or a beta test of a Wellbrook unit.

Other antennas that work well are a Flag or EWE, or a KAZ antenna.  All
these are variations on a theme.  A wire connected to a 9:1 balun, then runs
up and across some distance, and then down to a termination in the 700 ohm
range, +/-.  A ground at each end is also needed, or a counterpoise wire.
The counterpoise may be better in a sandy area.  The exact geometry will
depend on the type chosen.  The advantage is the directionality of them.

> I just placed an order for the following items:
> -Palstar MW550p

Well reviewed and may be helpful with the KKOB issue.

> -I.C.E. 182A isolation beverage matching unit
> -WinRadio longwire 9:1 balun

Personally I haven't used these.  I simply wind my own on Amidon cores.

> -500ft 14 ga copperweld

May not be needed.  I just use #14 stranded THHN from Home Depot or Lowes.

> -Quantum Phaser

Good box, though if KKOB is too strong it may overload.  You should be OK.

> -MFJ-1020C

OK.

> I plan to run about 300 ft of the wire suspended about 6ft above the
ground...

Before you go too far with the outdoor construction, I'd suggest rolling out
two wires on the ground as far apart as possible.  Or, two wires maybe a
couple feet apart but different lengths, one half the length of the other.
Then put those into the phaser and see how it works.

Best of luck with the project!

Craig Healy, NG1U
Providence, RI