[IRCA] TPs on Oct 31: F*A*B*U*L*O*U*S!!!!

[IRCA] TPs on Oct 31: F*A*B*U*L*O*U*S!!!!

Wow, what a difference a few miles makes (in the case of the Victoria
Three, its about 15 miles)!!!

This morning here was about as good as I remember the BEST days from
a month ago, and I've got the recordings to prove it.  I made an
early run at 1315, 90 minutes before dawn, and already things were
better than they have been for a while. At dawn enhancement, they
were fabulous.... and things lasted AT NEAR FULL STRENGTH after dawn
for almost an hour. That normally doesn't happen (at or near full
strength) even in Grayland. Due to the lateness of the season, the
Japanese were not as good, individually as in late September, but
there were loads of them there, including 990-JORK NHK1 Kochi that I
only hear very rarely at Grayland. 621 was the NHK1 Synchros....
there are three one kilowatters and one @3 kW, so they don't make it
across often. The Hokkaido stations seemed oddly attenuated and 648,
the Russian was not there. Korea was about average.

China was all over the dial, with all of the usual regionals there...
Harbin, Shandung, Anhui and a number of the CNR1s. 918 Shandung was
simply HUGE. 1566 was not remarkable, but 1575-VOA was the strongest
that I've ever heard it.... possibly the strongest Asian I've ever
heard from here. With that in mind, I dropped down to 891 and NAILED
Radio Thailand at sometimes good, sometimes fair levels.  Most
Graylanders have logged that before and Patrick hears it all the
time, but I've never heard it before, either at Grayland or here on
Orcas Island, so I'm really pleased.

Things were so good so long that I had to choose between continuing
to DX or eat breakfast before my 1545 UT doctor's appointment.
Naturally I chose DX, much to my wife's disgust!

Sorry that so many of you missed out on an excellent AM.... I guess
that it demonstrates yet again that the ionosphere is a ragged, bumpy
and very unpredictable mirror.

John B.