Re: [IRCA] UPS/Back up battery

> The battery charger has three positions on the switch, 2 amp, 10 amp,
> and 50 amps. Maybe the 2 amp position would work?

I've found that a regular 2 or 5 amp power supply works better.  Most
battery chargers have terrible voltage regulation, and the DC is unfiltered.
By simply connecting a deep cycle battery across the output of the power
supply and running it to the radio, you will get a good backup and less
noise.  I use an Astron RS-3A power supply to recharge the 12v 7ah battery I
use.  The Astron is good for 2.5a continuous.  It runs the Palstar and
preamp without getting overly warm.  For current regulation, I use about a
3' length of 20 gauge wire as the battery connector.  Seems to keep
everything happy, and the battery recharges fairly quickly.  I've never even
run that down below maybe 11v.

Thirty bucks for the RS 7ah, or fifty for the 12ah?  Doesn't sound too bad.
Cheaper than a UPS, and you can always recharge it off a cigarette lighter
in your vehicle if the power is out for an extended time.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI