[IRCA] Grayland DXpedition Report Oct 24-28, 2007

[IRCA] Grayland DXpedition Report Oct 24-28, 2007

Friends,

Got back from Grayland last night.  I was able to
download at the Local Bar and Grill on Friday and
Saturday noons, but had problems (that I did not
realize) uploading.  So, I've pasted and edited
my uploads into a four day narrative that also
includes the more interesting loggings.  The full
set of loggings has been sent to the bulletin.

For those of you tracking Trans-Pacific
conditions, the brief description would be

Thursday AM, Oct 25: LOUSY
Friday AM, Oct 26: Better, but still poor, with more Chinese
Saturday AM: Oct 27: Worse, but not as lousy as Thursday
Sunday AM: Much better.... not great, but GOOD.

I was hoping for a lot of low level audio, since
I find that most useful when doing antenna
testing... the main purpose for my trip. I should
be more careful what I wish for....

Here is the narrative:

Wednesday, October 24 was my travel day from
Orcas Island to Grayland. Rain, some fog and
numerous accidents in Seattle forced me to divert
widely around the metropolitan area, and take an
additional ferry to get to Grayland. A normal 6
hour trip became a low stress eight plus
hours.  The travel delay and early sunset meant
that I only had time to get up the
standard  BOGs: westerly 600' and the NW 800 footer.

THURSDAY, OCT 25
Given the conditions that I found Thursday AM, I
probably should have just waited until Thursday
to hang any wire at all.  Thursday AM was the
least interesting, least productive morning of DX
that I've had here in several years.  From the
way that the band was behaving, I'd guess that
there was some kind of solar disturbance. I DXed
periodically from 1130 until 1530.... Going back to bed twice in disgust.

A number of DUs were in most of the morning, at
just above threshold levels... 531, 549, 612,
702, 1116, 1512 and 1548. None ever got to really
listenable levels, but they hung around a long
time. All of the usual Japanese were there,
though usually at their late October poor levels.
Once in a while, one of the Big Guns would pop up
for 10 minutes or so, before dropping off to
fair/poor levels. The Chinese were almost totally
absent, with 963 and 1206 kHz. being notable exceptions.

The only two bright spots were a really good log,
early (1300UT) of 738 Taiwan Fisheries, parallel
a much worse 1143 and CNR1 639, very late (1500
UT).  I've heard them both a number of times
before, but they were still the class of the
field for Thursday morning, October 25.

Thursday, the 25th, was a beautiful sunny day at
the beach and I had great fun putting up both Guy
Atkins? and my own beta Wellbrook Phased Arrays
ready for some more serious Beta testing on
Friday morning and, I sincerely hoped, a load of great DX.

FRIDAY, OCT 26
I DXed from 1130 until 1615UTC with
somewhat  better results than Thursday and a pot
full of antenna testing. Overall conditions still
seemed sub-par, but a good deal better than the
abysmal conditions of yesterday Thursday AM. The
Aussie Big Guns were in at 1130 and more or less
stayed in until things FINALLY shut down after
1600.  (sunrise = 1445UT) The larger Japanese
were there, along with some of the second and
third line stations, though levels were generally
sub-par. The Koreans were back for the most part,
though not too strong and there were quite a few
more CCs around, though still quite low level.

The more interesting loggings included:

648 The Russian transmitter near Vladivostok was
in nicely this morning, running a VOA program
until TOH @ 1400, then they either slewed the
antenna away from NAm or left the air, as after
1400 there was only threshold audio on the frequency.

990 JORK in Kochi was dominating that frequency
for a while. Also QSLed long ago, but a relatively rare visitor.

531 was a mix of at least two, maybe three DUs
for quite a while before 4KZ dominated at dawn.
Unneeded, again, but fun to listen to at a decent
level.  Crime Stoppers PSA, local Toyota dealer's
commercial, nautical weather and sea conditions for the area

783 8AL Alice Springs, very tentative this, late
in max dawn at fair level, initially, fading to
nothing just before 1500. Could be Access Radio,
Wellington, but heard no other Kiwis on this
DXpedition. I hung on every word and every note,
like an IDIOT, rather than trying to // from 120
meters. I'll be looking tomorrow morning, but...
Will send a tentative report with CD.  I might
add that the music program was several songs by a
female "lounge singer," which doesn't sound that
much like Alice Springs to me, but even less
Wellington. Definite DU, both by DFing and by language. Hummmmm.

At noon on Friday, Patrick Martin and Dave
Williams showed up for a delightful lunch and
afternoon radio jam session.  We had lunch at the
Local Bar and Grill and I was able to upload the
partial "Report #1" and download two days worth
of messages. It was comforting to know that other
DXers in the region were experiencing similar
(semi-lousy but improving) conditions.

SATURDAY, OCT 27:
If you look in the DXers' dictionary under
"mediocre conditions," you'll see a picture of me
at Grayland this weekend.  The Japanese are
clearly beginning to fade out about an hour or
more before dawn enhancement kicks in, so they
are "mere shadows of their former selves" at
dawn. This morning, the few DUs that have been
present the past two days were even more modest,
though a few made it to poor levels of
audio.  The Chinese were beginning to reappear in
some numbers, but there still were many "usual
suspect" stations that were either still totally
missing or were mired in the mud of
unintelligibility (936, 927, for instance.)

The silver lining in this weekend for me was the
fact that I was there primarily for final Beta
testing of the Wellbrook array and I wanted a lot
of very low level audio for test purposes.  "Be
careful what you wish for........"

SUNDAY, OCT. 28
Finally, decent, not great but DECENT, TP
conditions. Most of the usual East Asian suspects
were there and sometimes at excellent levels.
Even 4QD-1548, Emerald, Queensland was bombing in
just after dawn. The Japanese continued to peak
well before dawn and nowhere near their levels of
mid and late September?. But, they were there!

  The still disturbed but improved conditions brought me two very nice catches:

549 OKINAWA JOAP NHK1, Naha , Oct 28 1250 -
Stumbled on this running a national sporting
event soon after turning on the radio. Fair to
good at first, rapidly fading back into the
mumble mix. Happily, the play-by-play announcer
was very distinctive and I could follow the
signal until TOH. The // on 594 was ever so much
better.  Really happy with this one, after a
minimum of 16 years of trying. Report going out tomorrow! (JB-G'land WA)

801 AUSTRALIA 4QY, Cairns (prob.) , Oct 28 1520 -
30 minutes after dawn, caught an Aussie talk show
just above threshold level. There are three
Aussies listed. 2RF is Radio Italia; 5RM,
Berri  appears to be an Oldies` station. 4QY
would be my first guess, anyway,since Q'landers
often dominate late at Grayland. However, this
talk program was similar but NOT // to 4QD-1548.
Subsequent i-net research indicates that the two
stations are in different subgroups of ABC Local
Radio, so this is certainly a possibility. New
for me and worth a report with CD. (JB-G'land WA)

I DXed until 1545, an hour after sun-up and then
had to roll ?em up and head back inland into the
fourth nice sunny day in a row.

  Totals for the 4-day weekend: Japan: 31
stations, China: 21, Australia: 11, South Korea:
6, North Korea: 4 and one station each in
Okinawa, Taiwan, Thailand, Russia and the Philippines.

  With our annual migration back to our winter
home in Oklahoma coming up in two weeks, that
closes out my DXpeditioning out here for another
year? and what a great one it has been!

John B.