[IRCA] After Market Radio

The radio in my Dodge Dakota died last week so I purchased an after
market AM/FM/CD unit.  It accepts a USB drive device and an SD card. The
biggest plus for me is that it has two RCA jack outputs for stereo. I
found that I am now able to record directly off of the radio to a device
like iRiver 899 or other devices that have a line-in. This is great for
bandscanning and casual dashboard DXing. And it cost me about $120
total! And also, the radio is fairly sensitive to boot.

Now I have a couple of questions.

1. My truck suffers from really bad ignition noise. It has had this
problem since the day I bought it. How do I troubleshoot to get rid of
this. It varies in intensity with the speed of the engine, so I assume
it is spark plug related. I have had it tuned several times and each
time told them about the problem.  I think the repair guy did not quite
understand. What should I do?

2. Is there some way to inductively connect an antenna to the whip
antenna? I touched the antenna with my hand and it got a little more
gain, enough on some of the weaker signals, that they become audible.
Anyone had experience with that?

3. I also have a problem at certain speeds when loud crackling noises.
It goes away at low speeds.  I suspect it is an antenna shorts or open
connection.  Any ideas anyone?

--
Bill Harms
Elkridge, Maryland

Check out the Spokane Radio History Pages
http://spokaneradio.philcobill.com

and the Spokane Radio Tower Pages
http://spokanetowers.philcobill.com