[IRCA] Some Information on KIAL-AM 1450 Unalaksa, Alaska.

[IRCA] Some Information on KIAL-AM 1450 Unalaksa, Alaska.

Hey everyone....

I was FINALLY able to track down someone at KIAL 1450 and get a few answers
concerning some of their operation. These answers came from KIAL 1450's
General Manager Lauren Adams. If anyone posts on radio-info.com, do a search
on "KIAL" and a thread over on the Community Radio/Part 15 Board wil lshow
up. KIAL was disussed there I believe. If Someone could post this there, I'd
app-reciate it.
I have Lauren's permission to share this. My questions are in black,
Lauren's answers are in blue.

Regards,
Paul B. Walker, Jr
www.walkerbroadcasting.com

--

*Paul Walker:  Does 1450 STILL use a longwire type antenna? *

*Lauren Adams/KIAL: As I understand, and granted my knowledge of longwire
antennas is limited, no.  We have a whip antenna. *

*Paul Walker: Also, I notice on your History About KIAL page you mentioned
KIAL was granted a permit to go to 4,200 Watts or 5,000 Watts?*

*Lauren Adams/KIAL: Our application was for a 4,200 watt station.  We did
receive the permit but couldn't find a suitable piece of land (because of
salmon streams, etc.).  Instead, we've filed for an FM construction permit
as of Oct. 19. Sounds like it's time to update our website. *

*Paul Walker: How come KIAL-AM and Channel 8 don't show up in th FCC"s
database? *

*Lauren Adams: Channel 8 is operating as a low-power television station.  We
do have an FCC permit to operate this station, not sure why we're not on the
FCC database but I will check it out. *

*KIAL is one of the only (and perhaps THE ONLY) stations in the country that
is still operating with a letter of authorization.  That's why it's so
important that we get our proper FM permit.   Not sure why we're not on the
FCC database but I will check it out.*

*Paul Walker: I just read the FAQ section of your website, and an intrigued
by the fact KIAL is still operating at only 50 Watts. I'm slightly intrigued
by KIAL, but I can guess that being in Rural Alaska presents it's own unique
set of challenges. *

*Lauren Adams/KIAL: 50 watts is not nearly enough, obviously.  There are
many places in the community that our station cannot reach.  We have fingers
crossed about the FM permit, however.  The 4200 watt AM would have been
ideal, and would have reached other communities in our region.  Since that
was ruled out, however, an FM permit is the next best thing.  As you are
well aware, this is the first time in many years that a window for FM CPs
has opened.  *