[IRCA] Japan and other TPs to Oklahoma

** JAPAN. Following Bruce Conti`s report of MW from Japan heard in New
Hampshire, and also by Bruce Winkleman in Tulsa, I had to try for it myself.
Oct 17 at 1225 UT, a sesquihour after T-storms moved thru and I could risk
hooking up a new 500-foot antenna wound around the property --- not enough room
for it in a straight line --- by golly, on the FRG-7 I did have carriers on 774
and weaker on 747 kHz.

Then I switched to the Yachtboy 400, which happens to be set for 9 kHz spacing,
turned on the BFO and slightly detuned it so I could hear hets if there were
any carriers on trans-Pacific splits. Antenna here is just the built-in ferrite
rod, and with several meters of wire inside the house clipped onto the whip,
which probably doesn`t have much effect on MW.

By golly, there were plenty of them, and they all fit on the 9 kHz bandplan, so
not TVI or something else: At 1235-1242 UT, found 585, 594, 612, 648, 693, 702,
828, 873, 891, 972, 1287, 1305, 1368, 1494, 1557. At first I avoided most
frequencies adjacent to 10-kHz, but at 1245 also had carrier on 711 hetting
KCMO 710, and something on 621.

Meanwhile, at 1243 I went back to 774, and definitely heard audio in Japanese,
so I`m claiming JOUB, NHK-2, Akita, which is 500 kW on the NW coast of Honshu.
Later checking the path on the NGS globe, I see that it`s tangent to the 59th
parallel, i.e. across Kodiak and the SW coast of Alaska, 6000+ miles. Local
sunrise here was 1240 UT. 747 Sapporo, Hokkaido, goes one degree further north,
but did not get any audio from it. KRMG-740 Tulsa was getting to be a problem,
perhaps on day pattern by now.

Unfortunately, my box loop is dismantled, my SM-2 no longer works, I don`t have
room for beverages, nor is selectivity tight enough on my present receivers for
much serious MW DX, but I`m pleased to hear these, with Japan definitely heard
here in OK after a good many years, thanks to rock-bottom sunspots and flux
(Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1378, DX LISTENING DIGEST)