Re: [IRCA] Housing the RF-Space SDR-IQ

Hi Patrick,

If you're looking for a finished product with good software, but only a
15-20Khz real time spectrum window, I'd recommend the Winradio SDR's.
Both of these units offer a very flexible Spectrum analysis window, but
one that will take several seconds to do a scan.  Once the scan is
complete, you can click on the peaks and they will jump directly to that
frequency.  They're finished products that have an excellent reputation
and work very well.  I find very little difference between my G313/180
and the G303/PD.  The main difference is in the software features - the
G303 doesn't have PBS and some of the more exotic features that the G313
does.  It does work very well and in fact has slightly better sound
quality than then G313.  Neither of these units requires an added sound
card.  The G303 is significantly less expensive than the G313 but really
needs the professional decoder option software with it and doesn't
include a noise blanker or notch filter.  At Grove, I think it would
cost between $600 and $650 depending on which version you got.

The SDR-IQ is more more of an evolving product, has much less finished
software but it's improving and it also offers a 192Khz real-time
spectrum analyzer window.  Again, it doesn't require any additional
sound card and can be bought for $500, making it the cheapest SDR
available currently.

The SDR-1000 is out of production now but can be bought for around $1200
on the used market..  I haven't had mine long enough to comment on it
but Guy Atkins seems to like his very much.  It requires an expensive
added sound card for best performance and I'd rate the software
somewhere between the G303/313 and the SDR-IQ.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Rob