Re: [IRCA] Housing the RF-Space SDR-IQ

Hi Brett,

I was the original purchaser of that enclosure, and had planned to do the
SDR-IQ installation in it for Walt. I ran out of time, and had to deliver
Walt's SDR-IQ to him at the QCI DXpedition without the case work. I'm glad
that Colin was able to wrap it up in short order for him.

As you have seen from the photos, the enclosure has nice rounded corners and
a black anodized finish, and a ribbed interior for holding circuit boards of
the correct width. (The SDR-IQ's board width is a bit too narrow for this
method.) If I recall correctly, I purchased the enclosure at the Seattle
area Fry's Electronics over a year ago for around $25, and had it on hand
when Walt's SDR-IQ arrived at my shack. I haven't seen that case style
lately at Fry's so they may no longer carry it.

My plan was to "remote" the LEDs from the PCB via some short lengths of
hookup wire, and attach the LEDs to the front panel through tight-fitting
holes. I hadn't thought of shortening the case length like Colin did. The
case was originally about 6 inches long.

Radio Shack's "nibbler" tool is a great way to make square-cornered holes
and panel openings such as for the USB port. I'm not sure if Colin used this
or a similar tool; it was a real help for finishing my SDR-1000/HPSDR's new
case.

Many months ago, RFSpace had offered their own enclosure to the original 200
pre-production SDR-IQ purchasers for the attractive price of $50, but to my
knowledge they never followed through with this. Quite a few early SDR-IQ
purchasers have given up hope that the company will follow through on their
offer :^(

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

Message: 9