Re: [IRCA] The beginning of the end - of IBOC

Re: [IRCA] The beginning of the end - of IBOC

I wish I could be as optimistic as a lot of you, but to paraphrase Mark
Twain, "the reports of AM IBOC's death are exaggerated."

While as a Dxer, I would love nothing more than to see AM IBOC fall flat
on its face, there is just too much money and too much corporate power
behind the technology - no matter how flawed it is.  Despite today's
news from Citadel, remember that they are just one voice of many.
Others, like Clear Channel (who has a substantial financial interest in
Ibiquity), are going to push it forward despite its drawbacks.

The good news is that the FCC WILL listen to legitimate concerns
expressed concerning interference within a station's protected contour.
I know this for a fact. But, for DX purposes, don't expect the FCC to
listen if someone in New Jersey complains that they can't hear WJR in
Detroit anymore because WABC's IBOC hash is wiping it out. It is out of
their area of concern since it is not an affect on local listeners to
WJR.

Citadel, in turning off the night IBOC, has made a good move to protect
many of their high power AMs and their nighttime skywave coverage.  This
is a promising first step.  It is steps like these that - if multiplied
dramatically - will save nighttime AM.  Broadcasters do, despite what
many people think, often police themselves.  What will spell the end of
AM IBOC will only be additional owners and local listeners who realize
that they have lost something precious -- coverage.

73,
Rene F. Tetro
Lansdale, PA, USA
W2FIL, WPXG816, WPXU288
Coordinates:  40D12'41"N  75D18'22"W
Grid:  FN20IF
Email:  rtetro@xxxxxxxxx

Note:  Opinions expressed are my own, and do not reflect those of my
family, employer, nor any other individual or entity.