Re: [IRCA] CBC on 1250

Craig Healy writes: "Maybe it's time to make up an abbreviations list.  If someone wants to do that, I'll post it on the am-dx.com site for others to use.  CAT?  Got some time?"

An abbreviations list would be quite helpful for those of us who still rely on print media, where space is limited and abbreviations were established to get as much information as possible in tiny available space. There are several sets of language abbreviations. The SS, EE, PP, FF, GG, etc., began with Ernie Cooper in the NRC who shortened "Spanish-speaker" to SS; double-letter language designations evolved from that, and I once did a satirical bit on English-eker; Portuguese-peaker, French-freaker, German-geeker, etc.

Hank Bennett, the long-time NNRC (oops, Newark News Radio Club) SWBC (shortwave broadcast) editor came up with a different set of abbreviations for languages, one that made a bit more sense that PP and KK.

But on the internet, where the only ones concerned with space issues might be those of us who print hard copies of material we want to save, common sense tells us that abbreviations no longer are necessary.

As an old newspaper editor who used the Associated Press stylebook as a guide, the manifesto was to use only abbreviations that would be universally understood, such as USA or FBI. "When in doubt spell it out" was the slogan.

Qal R. Mann, Krumudgeon