[IRCA] different receivers vs. IBOC

Patrick,

Some receivers will do a better job receiving stations through IBOC hash. I
believe a narrow bandwidth coupled with ECSS would be the best way to pull
a station through IBOC sideband hash. But not much can be done. The IBOC
sideband hash is so much like receiver front-end noise or "white noise."
Nothing can be done about that except develop a technology that generates
less noise in an amplifying device.

IBOC noise mimics real "white noise," but I suppose that if one were to use
two receivers and a super computer, it could be done.
One receiver would take a pure sample of the IBOC emission within X kHz
bandwidth, another would take a sample of everything within the same
spectrum including the IBOC has. Then the two samples would be compared at
some rate that exceeds the maximum rate of all the samples within the same
spectrum, and the pure IBOC sample subtracted from the IBOC + signal
sample, leaving the signal free of IBOC hash.

The is going to require at least one excellent receiver and the fast
computer to do the signal manipulation. It seems to me that such an
approach is possible, but I don't know whether it is practical. An Eton, an
R8, or an R-390 may very well be good enough for the signal+ IBOC sample,
but the difference between the results using any high-end receiver is not
likely to be large enough to make any difference.

Any combination of filtering would have scant influence on removing the
IBOC hash, so don't expect any useful results.

IBOC is just going to have to kill itself; and from what I'm reading about
how fragile an IBOC signal is and susceptible to degradation from
interference from any noise, other IBOC signals and non-IBOC signals, that
I think IBOC is going to die a well-earned death sooner than within a decade.

I've been following the experiences of those who had $200 to burn and who
bought some of the enemy's equipment, and are developing a sub-hobby of
"Let's see if we can make the little blue LED light up, and hear
crystal-clear audio from one of these IBOC stations."

Seems like they will have a nice little piece of junk costing $200 and fit
to be given to Goodwill, or to the charity of their choice, or tossed into
the gaping maw of a low-tech trashcan.

I would have better use for $200, that's a dead-certain fact!

CATmudgeon