Re: [IRCA] Using the most remarkable Eton E1 receiver

Re: [IRCA] Using the most remarkable Eton E1 receiver

> Give the engineers another ten years and what you said may not be a
figure of speech!

> Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Colin,
>
> According to guys with the computer radios, those are the future I
have
> been told. With the zillion filters and the like, it may work better
> against HD in the future too. I don't have one as yet, but it is still
> in the back of my mind.

Well maybe I am behind the times but present technology
understands data in the time domain, and in the frequency
domain, and IBOC is the first thing I have ever heard of that
apparently has 100 percent occupancy in both domains,
relative to the receive IF bandwidth, so when you filter out the
noise there is really nothing left.

Look at the waterfall displays from the SDR-IQ. It is a
solid sheet of light, e.g. noise, where the digital sidebands
are. No gaps anywhere. The sharpness of the edges is
in itself interesting, the "blurriness" as you tune past the
edge of the IBOC sideband is an artifice of the IF passband
response in the rx.

Noise blankers can work because in the time domain, the
occupancy of the noise is only a few percent, so you blank
out the pulse and you have maybe 95% of the time a
clear signal and just recover that. Even though the fast
rise-time noise spike fully occupies the freq domain
(again, relative to the rx IF bandwidth).

I'd look into super directive receiving antennas, not into
baseband or IF filters. I think that's where the next big
breakthrough in MW DXing is to be found, if it can be done.
If you can filter at the antenna, it does not matter what
comes later.

Or, hey, moving to Guam may work, hi

- Bob   k2euh