Re: [IRCA] TA's on the West Coast - Sept 17th (UTC)

Re: [IRCA] TA's on the West Coast - Sept 17th (UTC)

Hi everyone

It’s Walt, Chuck, and Bruce with the first night’s DX from
the Queen Charlotte Islands.  We have Beverages pointed at Asia and Australia,
a 300’ north-south wire, and an outdoor loop that can be used for DUs or TAs
depending on how it’s configured.

TA’s last night were absolutely amazing, with audio on too
many channels to count.  The best catch
was Country Sound Radio on 1566, listed as 750 watts!  Many Spanish, French, British, and German
stations were quite strong.  1053 Britain
was almost local quality at times, with other UK
stations noted on 909 1089 1341 and 1215.
French stations on 1206 1377 1278 and 1557 were all quite loud at
times.  They, along with stations like
DLF-1422 and Holland-1395 were often stronger than adjacent channel domestics.  Spain
took over as time went on, with audio on 684 999 1044 1215 1485(Cadena SER)
1116 954 1224 and maybe a few others.  A
few other logs: Holland-1008, Belgium-1512, Germany-1017, Iceland-189.  There were plenty of unids that will bear
watching the rest of the week: 1251 981 (in Arabic, probably Algeria)
1584 1503 1494 531 1314 and many others.
It took a while to finish setting up after dinner, so we missed whatever
opening there might have been to eastern Europe and the Middle East,
but last night was certainly a good start to put it very mildly.

TPs this morning were plentiful, but not impressive.  Mostly, we heard the usual assortment of
Japanese, Chinese and Korean stations that have been heard during previous
expeditions at Grayland and the QCI’s.
Hopefully, things will be better tomorrow.