[IRCA] TAs and TPs in middle NA.

Location is about 50 miles dues east of Winnipeg so still pretty much
in the middle of NA. We  weren't expecting a lot because the area had
been struck by high winds a couple of times in the summer and we
hadn't been able to do any antenna repairs before yesterday and there
is only so much  you can do in one afternoon. However...

Weak hets showed  up by 00:30 UT (over an hour before local sunset)
on 189, 162, 153. 198 and 1134.

Audio on 153, 162 (French) and 189 by 00:40.

 From then until about 03:30 there were hets on almost every European
frequency and many with some audio. 1215 Virgin Radio was the best
with understandable IDs but there was also English on 1089, German (I
think) on 1017 and French on 1377 and 1557 later on.

The longwaves were best as usual on the longest antenna (about 1500
ft) which is aimed at the maritime provinces and on to central
Africa. European medium waves were best on a shorter antenna (about
800 ft if there aren't any breaks we didn't get to) that is aimed at
aimed at the UK.

Iceland on 189 was still there in the morning and was joined by
Russian on 180 and   Japanese on 774 (both on an antenna aimed at
Mongolia). The Japanese was the best ever. There was also briefly at
least music on 702 and a dozen or so other hets.

Receivers included an HF-1000, an NRD-535 and an NRD-545.

George McLachlan

.