Re: [IRCA] IBOC Revisited

Rene'

Here are my two cents worth. To me (so far) the sky is not falling,
but....if the dial gets loaded with wall to wall HD, then the situation
is different. The sky is indeed falling. Even though the center carrier
channel of IBOC may not fall on adjacents directly, but the splatter
from the IBOC hash sure does. Plus splits are a different thing at 9 khz
spacing.  You can narrow the bandwidth and use upper and lower sideband
all you want on the stronger IBOCer and you still get hiss. Maybe not
enough to totally wipe out the adjacents, but enough to wipe out any
weak signal that might be there. The only way I have found to get rid of
the majority of the hiss is by phasing and that only works most of the
time as the skip signal is there to make it hard to get a stable enough
signal to get a total null of it. and then it constantly changes. On gw
it is a different story. Also one other issue regarding phasing is often
in phasing the noise you also end up phasing out the weak signal you are
trying to hear. Like in the case of TPs and DUs. Often they are weak to
begin with and you add all of the hiss then the signal is covered up.  A
lot is depentant on how many IBOCers we get. If it stayed about the same
as now, I could live with it. But I doubt it will. I already hear of two
more IBOCers added for OR in the next couple of weeks. In my boat, there
are only two ways out of this, either IBOC goes or the DXer moves. That
is if they want to continue DXing MW. Another option is to move to
another band. Time will tell where this all goes. As one very active
serious DXer that goes for flea power signals, IBOC is not good. Rene'
just think about the weak signals I heard from your two tests. If IBOC
would have been on those frequencies, I doubt I would have heard them.
Those two Philly stations are some of my best, especially the WFIL.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KAVT Reception Manager