Re: [IRCA] A response from Clear-Channel - my reply

Re: [IRCA] A response from Clear-Channel - my reply

"Thanks for the quick reply --

In all fairness, you should know that I am a telecom technologist
making informal observations on this new phenomenon - as
well as being an avid listener of AM radio outside of
the stations market areas.

In this particular example I note that AM 1200 in Vancouver
is taking a significantly lighter hit of digital hash
than KOFI in Kalispell, Montana on 1180khz.

When I checked KOFI last night, the hash appeared to be about
8 to 12db down from KOFI's average level (on a very well calibrated
S-Meter on a Drake R8 Communications receiver fed by
2 Wellbrook ALA100 loop antennas phased with an active phasing
unit) My dual loop system gives over 30db in nulls under normal
circumstances -- On 690khz for example, I can null a 50kw station
located in Vancouver B.C. into the noise revealed a station, XETRA
in Tijuana, Mexico below.

On 1200khz, the hash sideband appears to be about 12-16db down or better.
The sound (of hash) is always present.

Interestingly, on some phasing positions from my end you
can hear digital hash underneath KEX's main signal --
which is normally quite pristine with very little
multipath distortion or single-hop fading.

The receivers that I use here also have selectable synchronous sideband
capability so you can kill some of the hash by locking into the
sideband furthest away from the offending station.

To get a more comprehensive sense of the impact that this
new medium is having on the average listener I am also
using a few "above average" table top radios - And
yes, they are all effected a little differently.

The proof I think will be in:
a.) the amount of consumers that buy HD radios and
b.) the number of standard analog consumers on the fringe
of your market that complain about reduced audio quality.

All in all, it will be fun to watch!

"
--
Colin Newell - Editor/Creator - CoffeeCrew.Com | DXer.CA