Re: [IRCA] WBZ taking a hit from WHO

--- cafe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Is this the end of the era for distant listeners of WBZ?
>
> I would say no.
>
> Trust me - Here out West when some IBOCer starts getting into
> KGO-AM's
> listenership (I am one...) the excrement will be hitting the rotor
> blades.
>
> Go Bernie Ward Go!
>
> It is up to the listeners now - they are legion.

Regular non-DX'er listeners are absolutely the key. What they will do
is partially influenced by how badly the stations they want to listen
to are trashed.

After a short time, they will realize that this isn't a short-term
situation, at which point they'll either complain - most likely to the
station they're no longer able to listen to - or tune away. Since
they'll almost have to tune to a signal strong enough to resist the
hash, that's where it also gets interesting because presumably these
folks listen to non-local stations for some sort of program content
they can't get from their locals.

My strong belief is that more will tune away, perhaps away from AM
entirely, than will complain, but this is one case where I'd like to be
wrong.

Notice I didn't mention another option, because most of these folks
won't know it exists and would only hear the same locals if they did -
buy an HD radio. For those who have some understanding of this -
sufficient to know that with AM the programs will be the same - why buy
an HD radio if it doesn't meet your needs ? And some of those who may
do so will probably return them for that reason.

Hype is still hype, and absent a substance that people will want, it
won't sell the product.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]