[IRCA] More on TP/DUs

Colin etal,

To add a bit more to my previous comments on dxing TP/DUs.....When I was
first married in April 1976 Eloise & I took an apartment in the Western
part of S.F. and it was one of the best locations I've ever had.  In
1976/77 conditions were excellent and my equipment was good--Hammarlund
HQ140X & Wedge Loop + SM-2.  Altho 3LO was the only Aussie I had oodles
from Japan/China/Russia/Koreas etc + 1 from The Phillipines.  In August
1978 we moved to the center of the city, about 100 feet down from one of
the higher elevations in the city (Twin Peaks).  Unfortunately it was on
the east side of the peak.  The difference in these two locations (for
dx) was enormous.  My first location I had little problem splat/splash
wise from my locals.  At my 2nd I had horrible splatter from all of
them.  Plus the fact that the hill behind me was an effective block of
almost all the signals from the west.  For a couple years I practically
gave it up but the bug kept working on me and by 1983 I was spending a
lot of time at the dials.  To my surprise I heard KORL-650, then
KPUA-670, KUAI-720 and several other Hawaiians.  To cap it off on August
26, 1984 I had an opening to Aus/NZ...Definitely IDed 1YA-756 Auckland &
had good copy.  Also had DUs on 747-738 & 837 with audio & partial
programming, but no IDs.  In looking over my notes from 1980-1986 I am
amazed at what I received considering how much more difficult it was.

73

Don K.