[IRCA] From Grafton WI to Grafton Australia

[IRCA] From Grafton WI to Grafton Australia

Woke up early this morning with the sun and quickly out to my driveway
here in Grafton and hooked up the 470 ft BOG from the other end in about
10 seconds aiming at 245 degrees.

A quick tune around for DU's found 702 2BL Sydney audible weakly but
certainly enough to tell an Aussie accented gal was speaking to a man
at 1117 ! The BOG aimed this way basically totally kills WLW 700.
Tuning around for more, I ended up on 738 where the audio surely
seemed // at 1119 so 2NR Grafton !! Almost no trace of CHWO(faded to
sunrise) on the BOG aimed that way and WRPQ not on day power that early.
I believe both stations are supposed to be // at the time with ABC
local radio.

Carriers noted were 1503 weak, 675 decent but clearly too weak for
audio, 612 decent but beat up by local WTMJ slop, 594, and 558. I
suspect that I missed a few due to lack of time prior to fade out at my
sunrise about 1130 and spending some time on the two that were audible.

Big signals were noted from western Mexicans in that direction as is
common around SR, and especially if I note DU carriers. ie presumed and
unneeded Los Mochis on 650 was blasting in, etc.

These are the first non X band Aussies I have ever logged here in the
midwest !! I got three X banders from Barrington IL back in 1997 when the X
band
had very few stations in the US and I had no line noise to fight.

As has been observed previously there is a very clear difference in
reception from one end of the BOG to the other and aiming WSW clearly
favors WSW over aiming ENE and trying to work the same direction.
http://www.dxing.info/community/viewtopic.php?t=371 describes some detail
testing I did concerning the F/B ratio of unterminated BOG's

For example, day times, WHO 1040 is much better and very easy copy when
using the BOG to the WSW. Nebraska's KRVN 880 and KTIC 840 can be heard
weakly fighting distant powerline QRN. Des Moines on 1700 can be heard
weakly in SS, but when using the same wire to the ENE there is no trace
except a weak carrier.

73 from a mosquito chewed KAZ in Grafton WI