Re: [IRCA] TP's for 9/8 Good morning in Victoria!

Re: [IRCA] TP's for 9/8 Good morning in Victoria!

Well - as I posted previously, I was running back and forth between
the R8 / Wellbrook combo and an Eton E1 perched in a SW facing window
7 stories above the parking lot (with a relative height of several hundred
feet about the local terrain) - the Camosack Manor
(featured here - http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=8252   )
is a 16 story concrete and steel wonder high in the Rockland neighborhood
of Victoria B.C. Canada.

Fed by underground electrical utilities
and internally shielded by the nature of steel re-enforced concrete it makes
for a very quiet listening post -- to a point.
The roof top is bristling with antennas -- every Cell provider is up there,
and there is a 7 to 10kw UHF transmitter nestled in the thatch of
aluminum and steel.

So what happens is this: If I extend some of my antennas
too far away from the balcony, not only is this dangerous to my person (a 7 story
fall is generally fatal - this fact has been proven a couple of times at the 'Sack -
a name residents use...) but also, I get some serious VHF overload.

Anyway - long story short. My balcony is on the East facing side of the building.
As I look over my shoulder I have a crystal clear view of the San Juan islands
and Mt. Baker in the background.
Out the South facing windows is the Olympic Peninsula, the Juan de Fuca Strait
and the Pacific - for some reason, I get better TP's and DU's out that window versus
the antenna locations on the Balcony.

I have to either figure out a solution to this or move out.
Thankfully we are thinking of the latter.

My wife agrees: There is no where to BBQ.
The kitchen is too small.

And I need trees for antennas.

So - to partially explain some of the differences in reception:
I am about twice the distance from a pair of medium power AM transmitters
(that Walt and Nick have to contend with) and I was actually facing
away from these AM noise generators, shielded by this 125' concrete
obelisk that I currently reside in.

On the Eton E1, I had 100% copy on Japan on 594, 747, 774 and 828khz
100% copy on China on 963khz and Korea on 972khz. And so on.
I could not say this for the R8. Close but not quite.

--
Colin Newell - www.coffeecrew.com