[IRCA] Signal generators and "what if" dreaming

At 12:14 PM 9/8/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>Charlie,
>
>Look on ebay. There is often an old Heathkit signal generator, or
>something close you can pick up for a song. That is what I use to
>rebroadcast my signal when checking the termination. It gets out very
>well, especially on FM. I just rebroadcast the R8 on a clear FM channel,
>take the radio out to the termination and I can monitor the signal
>easily. So many of the little Part 73 lp transmitters do not get out
>very well. Also being an old tube generator, it is easy to work on if
>anything goes wrong with it.
>
>73,
>
>Patrick

Patrick,

I have an old EICO 330 kit which I retired from use as part of
my PFM equipment. It will probably fill the bill reasonably
well since I can modulate it. It covers from 100 kHz to 30
MHz in several bands.

It's old and isn't as stable as I would wish.

I bought a new SG560 from Ramsey Kits to replace it. The
SG560 is snythesized and is very stable, short-term. However,
its timebase drifts a little too much.

After the warranty runs , I'm going to add an input to allow me to
use my very stable 1 MHz time base in place of its internal
time base.

For the time being, I zero-beat its output against WWV, note the
error and when I zero-beat its output against an unknown frequency
station, I use the error in frequency against WWV in an equation
to reveal the exact frequency of the unknown station.

WHAT is the type number of the signal generattor that you use?
I may be able to find one similar, even though it's old.

Paul's right. Your signal generator falls under Part 15 of the FCC
R&Rs which govern "incidental radiation" devices, and not Part 73,
which governs FM BROADCASTING.

On a purely "what if" basis, if I ever got it in my head to move
out of here and move out there closer to the seacoast, would there
be room on your land for us to park a small trailer over on the
side of your land and pay you rent while "tapping in" on
your antennas and even using my own experience to develope newer
antennas?

Actually, it's mostly a dream; but I need to live in an area of
relatively high humidity and having a HUGE pond nearby (the
Pacific) would make it better for me, physically.

Charles