From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of cafe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 11:47 AM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: [IRCA] The future of SDR - for me anyway...

Although I work in a computing department at a local University,
I tend to eschew PC aided or defined radios.

Why, you ask?

Well - in over 30 years of DXing and collecting
fully functional analog receivers (and digital receivers),
I have yet to power up my DX150B with any error messages of
any kind...
-My Barlow-Wadley XCR-30 has yet to fail because of a missing OS.
-My Drake R8 has yet to greet me with a "file not found" error on power-up.
-My Kenwood R2000 has yet to report that I need to insert the system
diskette.

And although my Sony 2010 spits out an Error-03 from time to time, I am
pretty
sure that the "hard-drive" in it is still running.

The DX440 ( a true sleeper of a MW DX receiver ) has not been "re-booted"
in going on 20 years of continuous usage - although there have been times
where I felt like booting it.

In all honesty, I may consider getting on the bandwagon when we
can software define antennas and I can fit a Beverage onto a 40 sq. ft.
balcony!

That's my thinking,

--
Colin Newell - Victoria B.C. Canada