Re: [IRCA] Measuring D-C resistance of ground rods to earth

At 05:30 14/07/2007, Chuck wrote:

>You might want to do a Google for "three point method" and "fall of
>potential". These are the two standard methods for measuring grounding
>resistance. You should easily find tutorials from manufacturers of testing
>equipment.

http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/measurement_of_soil_characteristics/index.html

gives an interesting take on trying to measure ground conductivity
and other parameters at 1MHz and higher.  Most of the traditional
methods use power line frequencies; however, I've used the three
point method using an AC generator at various frequencies up to 5
MHz, and ended up getting really confused with the results
(decreasing conductivity with frequency....).   Ran out of time, and
never went back to it.

I like Charles'  idea of using an RF ammeter, though suspect
milliammeter might be  more appropriate if you're not using a
transmitter.  Starting with an ammeter is good; it's painful to see a
good meter die because you underestimated the expected current.

Let us know how it goes.

best wishes,

Nick