[IRCA] C Alan Taylor THE PIRATE

Bosh, child's play.

I operated two pirates that got busted by the FCC, and several more before
them that
didn't. If you were brats, I was a thug. Hi.

I did make one or two 5-watt, non-crystal control transmitters, but
realized soon
that hets were gauch...the sign of a kid that didn't know how to build
transmitters.

Thereafter, I went as high as 15 watts, but no higher.

Heterodynes decrease coverage and harmonics can propagate far. I always
used at least
an tuned-L network at the transmitter output, but found that a Pi network
would give
better suppression of harmonics and could match into the weird things I
tried for
antennas.

Early on, I had very little to call studio equipment, so I "joined up" with
other
kids that pirated with the usual souped-up, phonograph-oscillator (100 mW) type
transmitters. I was the CE and they did the programming, although I did
some shows.

On the pirate WISK-730/1550/1110 (which was a rock station), we wanted to do a
light music show Sundays during "church hours" (0700 - 1200), so I came in
and did
"Sunday Serenade." My theme was Percy Faith's "Theme From Summer Place."

We had a phone line, and I'd get calls from old folks in the neighborhood who
liked my program.

At 1200 sharp, we went into rock. Supposed they tuned out then.

Ah, memories!

CAT the Pirate (ret.)

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
  Greenville, North Carolina