[IRCA] Paul Walker: Part 15

At 11:30 PM 7/4/2007 -0400, you wrote:
>You can NOT do 100 Milliwatts at 1720Khz.
>
>Part 15 AM applies to regular AM broadcast band.
>
>Id you operated with 100MW at 1720, even though thats part 15 AM power
>levels.. youd be considered a pirate.
>
>Am is limited to 100MW, FM is field strength
>
>Paul

Paul,

Gotcha there. Part 15 applies to all frequencies. It's just that the FCC
set up some alternatives for BCB frequencies with the 100 mW & 10 foot
rule. Part 15 allows 1 watt down in the VLF band, but with an antenna
length/height I forget what.

The proof is right there in the part that Joe quoted, i.e.

Section 15.223 (link is above) says "The field
strength of any emission within the band 1.705-10.0
MHz shall not exceed 100 microvolts/meter at a
distance of 30 meters".

So you see, Part 15 does apply to, but is not limited to, the
MW BCB.

There are, I understand, quasi-hams that do CW and RTTY under
Part 15, and that operate without a license.

In fact, I believe that if I were to operate outside the ham
bands under Part 15 and used my callsign, using my callsign
would make me ILLEGAL!

Hams get around that by using part of their call, e.g. (in
my case) "4INP."

Now git back to yore microphone, it's time to do a CA for Paw
Bustitup's Lawn Mower and Watch Repair Service.

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
  Greenville, North Carolina