[IRCA] OT!! Pox Nabisco

At 05:05 PM 6/26/2007 -0400, you wrote:
> > Yeah, and they lost a huge empire, too. Conclusion: Use correct
>English like
> > we do over here.
> >
> > Charles
>

>It's not "as we do" ?
>
>- Nanny

There is a "rule" of linguistic science that says "The center innovates
while the periphery conserves." This is absolutely the case with Spanish
and Portuguese. I'd allow that it's case with English, but someone across
the Atlantic could be deeply offended if I wrote that!

It means that in the birthplace of a language, the population tends to
move away from old, traditional linguistic vocabularies and structures
more rapidly, while the former colonies tend to maintain the
vocabularies and structures extant at the time of colonialization.
One could argue that US and Canadian English is more "correct."

Luso Portuguese and Ibero Spanish have tended to drift apart. But
Brazil, speaking the older Portuguese (much closer to Spanish) has so
influenced Portugal that the divergent tendency has been reversed.

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
  Greenville, North Carolina