Re: [IRCA] Radio History-June 23

Marc DeLorenzo writes: "The show originated from a hotel in Chicago whose name I have forgotten.  Does anyone remember?"

A Google search indicates the show was broadcast from several hotels, naming only the Allerton.

Elements of the program that I recall from my childhood included "Fiction and Fact from Sam's Almanac," the "March Around the Breakfast Table" and Aunt Fannie. I had a problem as a little kid with Aunt Fannie, because I had an Aunt Fannie out in California, and I wondered how she had got to Chicago to be on that radio program. Slowly, the light came on, and I learned Fran Allison (who later added to her fame on TV's "Kukla, Fran and Ollie") played Aunt Fannie, much as Cliff Arquette (an old favorite of mine on the "Point Sublime" radio show) played Charlie Weaver on Jack Paar's version of "The Tonight Show."

There was a time when I got "sophisticated" and wondered how anyone could be entertained by such pap ... in my old age, I've come to the conclusion that yesterday's pap is tomorrow's nostalgia.

But I can't imagine anyone feeling nostalgic for rap.

Thanks, Art Blair, for Radio History. It's fun.

Qal R. Mann, Krumudgeon