[IRCA] Beverage antenna downlead angle

I have been expirimenting with the beginning of the beverage antenna on
how I should place the angle down to the ground where the matching
transformer is. I always though a soft slope down over 100 feet would
work the best with no sharp vertical angles. Well, in my case that idea
is not the best. Strange. I always sloped the wire down. The a couple
weeks back I was playing around with the wire monitoring the signal on a
portable and I found running it in more of a straight line and then "dog
eared" it down at the 45 degree angle to the branch and then on down to
the ground gives me a better pattern with less side lobes to the N/S.
Does that make any sense? It doesn't to me, but with the wet soil here
and other factors, a lot of things don't make sense.
We are only talking about 10 feet of wire sloping down, so with 1500',
it is just a small amount it should not make much difference, but it
does. I do slope down the wire to the ground rods on the far end. I have
not tried anything different there.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin