Re: [IRCA] Copper/Radials

> As a Hobbist or Ham radio operator -- thinking on your feet -- and being
able to
> change elements or parts -- is ok.  However -- any change to a Commercial
radio
> station,  without FCC approval,  is NOT allowed.   If an AM CP or license
calls
> for 120 radials -- 90 degrees long --- by adding extra radials or any
other metal
> to the system -- makes that station illegal.

On a non-d station, all you'd need to do is file the right paperwork after
measuring the base impedance.  On a directional station you'd likely need to
do what's called a partial proof.  Ten measurements on every radial - at
least eight - from 2 to 10 miles from the towers.  That would be an
excellent way as you could compare it to the buried radial system.  See what
the nulls were, and the peak reading of the major lobe(s).

Knowing the Radio Disney engineering consultant, the 640 station was
configured that way in their CP application and completely legal.

If I had a station where the copper thieves struck, I would definitely set
up the elevated radials as a temporary measure, and possibly file to make it
permanent if it looked like it was working correctly.

In the late 70's, copper thieves hit the 1380 station in Woonsocket, RI.
They took maybe a five foot radius of copper from the immediate base of the
tower.  The transmitter wouldn't stay on until I connected a couple of wires
with a pair of Vice Grips.  Didn't take much to get it back on the air.  In
the course of the day I was able to reconstruct the system.  No change in
base current, nor in tuning so we didn't bother filing any paperwork.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI