Re: [IRCA] AM station causes fire on Catalina Island

Re: [IRCA] AM station causes fire on Catalina Island

I read on another list, and saw on the news, that a tower crew replacing
guy wires at KBRT was apparently responsible for this fire. The power
poles feeding the site are reported to have burned away as did the
telephone lines providing audio to the station. The transmitter is
reportedly running on backup generator. They were anticipating returning
to the air today (Saturday) with audio provided via CDs while a
satellite link is being established. From what I've read in the past I
think KBRT still has a resident engineer living at this site.

They appear to have low power night authority. I would be tempted to
wonder if they might operate on high power for a few nights providing
local info. On the other hand, if they are relying on generator power
for an unknown period, they will probably want to conserve fuel.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
Broadcast Technician
NRC Broadcasting - Denver
http://community.webtv.net/N0NNK/