Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] LA Times Story: Is the FCC DOA?

--- Peter Jernakoff <Peter.Jernakoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The below link takes you to an LA Times story from today where the
> 21st
> century role of the FCC is debated ('Is the FCC DOA?'):

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-op-dustup10may10,0,3652860.story?coll=la-opinion-center

*** My $0.02 worth:

I think the question posed isn't the 'right' question, and each in
their own way, both of the commenters hit on it. Today's FCC is not
much more than a puppet of the industry it is supposed to regulate.
While that is true of many government regulatory bodies today, the FCC
is one of the more extreme cases, and the one which affects us.

Huge companies no longer need, nor have they needed for many years, the
kinds of benefits the FCC provides to them.

There is a role for a re-vamped FCC to address technical issues ( which
would require a re-vamp by itself ), to essentially administer the
system. Other government bodie should be charged with such regulation
as may be necessary to limit monopolies in the various markets and also
to deal with issues of false advertising and campaign unfairness, etc.

But the FCC shouldn't have the sole authority for setting forth the
total set of parameters for emerging communications technologies, nor
for initiating policy.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]