Re: [IRCA] SP 600 /R390

Right. Friend babysat pile of R-391's in Thailand, remote controlled from
Viet Nam. When something was up, several racks of 391s would clatter, grab
everyone's attention, and true to form, stop dead on mark.

Customer with whom we became friendly presently lives in SE PA, still runs
his. We supplied 391. He had telephone dialer and PS-972 (??), powers up two or
more of these beauties.

 390s underrated due to lack of mechanical filters. It's not a handicap. High
dynamic range and ability to sweep tune six IF stages allows for creativity.
As with choosing favorite muscle car, one of each is a good start. 390s proved
reliable. As in Pt. Judith, same here, salt air, temp/humidity flux, few
troubles. Replace a rectifier or 6BJ6 IF tube once in while. Easier to find 60
year old 6AK5 than three year old chip. Old story.