[IRCA] Bell insulators

At 06:22 PM 5/7/2007 -0700, you wrote:

>--- Bob Young <youngbob53@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Have you tried a phaser with LW's Powell? I have
> > noise here and can phase it
> > out almost totally,
>

>No but the power company will be out here to fix the
>bell insulators
>

>Powell

There you go, folks. Where a distribution line "deadends,"
you may see two or three insulators that look similar to
bells, and in a string. Where these fit together is a
possible source of RFI as the mechanical tongue-and-slot
fittings build up oxide. The capacitance across the string
of bells causes the gaps to spark over 120 times a second:
RFI!

Current practice is to replace these "bells" with a unitary
polymer plastic insulator that has corrugations, or "sheds."
Much cheaper and stronger than porcelain strings, and they
DON'T CAUSE R-F-I. So things are working toward less RFI off
distribution lines, believe it or not.

In Powell's case, Georgia Power/Entergy (or whoever) will
probably replace all the old bells with the new polymers.

400-Hz Charles

Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
Greenville, North Carolina