Re: [IRCA] SP 600 /R390

Hi Patrick,

I don't know if I mentioned it during my and John Bryant's SDR radio talk at
the Seaside convention last year, but the software-based radios can have
highly impressive noise blanker operation.

I rarely have repetitive impulse noise here, but the SDR-1000's
"intelligent" approach to handling noise pulses results in the best noise
blanking I have ever heard in receivers...on the few occasions when this
type of QRM has appeared. The radio puts the computer's CPU power to
excellent use by identifying a noise pulse, sampling the "good" audio before
and after the pulse, and then splicing a clone of the good audio back into
the gap left when the spike was notched out. The restored audio is like "the
noise never happened", assuming proper Threshold setup for the NB in the
PowerSDR software.

A characteristic I really appreciate is that the blanking action can work
well on weaker impulse noise, not just ones that are strong compared to the
desired audio.

Buzzes and "hash" that cover up the signal for longer increments of time are
more tricky to tame, but the PowerSDR software has a separate noise blanker
designed more for longer impulse noise. Both can be used at the same time if
desired.

It would be interesting to see what this software could do with the electric
fence noise you've been bothered by for years. I know you've tamed it pretty
well by now, however, with the MFJ phaser and the Drake.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

Message: 1