[IRCA] R-390 family of receivers

There is that group of receivers that are very similar to
the R-390.

I already differentiated between the R-390 and the R-390A.

Some people include the R-398 in this family. It is a
Collins 51-J, and has an IF of 500 kHz, I believe.

The R-389 looks like an R-390, but tunes 15 - 1500 kHz.
There where few produced, and one in good condition
goes for about $1,500.

Then there is the R-391. It is essentially a mechanically-
driven, autotune R-390. Only a few of these were produced.
I saw one, and I wouldn't have one.

Then there is the R-392. This was supposedly built
for use in military vehicles, and requires 24 - 26 VDC
power. It is much lighter and about one-half the size of
the R-390.

The R-392 is an excellent receiver, but lacks the strong-
signal overload capabilities of the R-390, and it lacks
the R-390A's mechanical filters. That, in my mind,
limits its utility as a serious receiver for "split"
tuning.

Finally, there is the R-748. It was designed and built for
use aboard aircraft.

Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
Greenville, North Carolina