Re: [IRCA] Compact fluorescents

--- Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dan,
>
> I was at Fred Meyer looking at bulbs yesterday and I
> saw some bulb. I
> thought it may be a CFB, but it was shaped like a
> regular bulb, but it
> said something like uses 20 watts and as bright as a
> 60 watt bulb or
> something like that. It was $5. I have no idea what
> it was. I don't see
> why they cannot build a CFB is the same form as a
> regular bulb.

They do, but they put some more glass over the swirl
and unfortunately you lose some brightness. Nor can
you look at the ends of the lamp where the cathodes
are to tell if the bulb is nearing end of life. They
even have some small candelabra base ones....some even
can take the shade that clamps to the bulb.  I have a
5 watt candelabra CFL in a small Mission style lamp.
It has smoother and better output than the 40 watt
bulb that was in its place.

Powell