Re: [IRCA] Energized towers

> If I parked a fiberglass ladder against WABV's tower, climbed
> (clumb?) the ladder without touching the tower, then reached
> out and GRABBED the tower with both hands quickly, I'd not
> get burnt, I THINK.
>
> Once on an energized tower, you're OK. Just don't touch
> something grounded.

That works, but it's easier just to jump on.  Routine procedure *on lower
powered stations*, under 5kw.  The only time that might be a hazard is if
the base resistance (and voltage) is unusually high.  For example, base
resistance at WNBH-1340 is about 120 ohms, base current is about 2.87a
normally.  Ohms law will give the voltage for 1kw.  There is a wind
monitoring system on that tower that needs monthly maintenance.  All I do is
stand on the concrete base pier and jump on the tower.  Bare hands, never a
problem.

No way I would do that on a higher power station.

It really isn't that big a deal.  And no, I do not intend to get into a
discussion of the medical effects of MW RF exposure.  I've made it to 60 in
perfect health and have been hanging around towers since 1970.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI