Re: [IRCA] WGN Xmtr. Maintenance Period

Thanks for the tip Chris. I did monitor and tape the signoff which was
at 0207 Eastern.

WGN did specifically mention "transmitter maintenance" and WBBM did
remain on. I visited both the WGN and WBBM transmitter sites a few years
ago. They are indeed close to each other. So I can see where it is
necessary to make both of them dark when either one is doing antenna
work. It's nice to see such cooperation between stations. Both of those
stations also had auxiliary towers co-located on their transmitter
sites. I'll bet those are very hot (with RF) when the two main
transmitters are on.

Unfortunately with WGN off I had nothing new or unexpected. The usual
suspects were there in the form of KDWN in Las Vegas on the east-west
heading and an unidentified SS with ballads or love songs on the
north-south heading. Although WGN has a huge signal here, I can usually
hear both of these even with WGN on.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
Broadcast Technician
NRC Broadcasting - Denver