Re: [IRCA] Rare DX on 1080

At 12:34 AM 4/19/2007 -0400, you wrote:
>This is to Powell, Chris and Paul--
>
>Paul-
>
>Another thing I wonder about is WPTF-680. As per their owner, I should not
>be able to hear them at my QTH. Yes, I have talked to the owner of WPTF.
>They have a GREAT call in talk show on Sunday nights I called in and to my
>surprise it is the owner who plays DJ.

Jesse Helms (retired Senator from NC) had a program on WPTF a long time ago.

Anyway, what the owner says isn't true if the NRC DA Pattern Mapbook is right.

Using a straightedge along the azimuth toward Old Fort (Shown as Oldfort in
Rand McNally, but still in s. Polk County), it looks like about 5 kW effect-
ive power your way.

About 10 kW effective my direction.

WPTF's day signal is much poorer than, say WLW-700 at my old QTH in Indiana-
polis at 88 miles. Raleigh is 76 miles too close to Grifton (NC).

At sunset and sunrise, there's a lot of QRM on 680 from WCBM, Baltimore, and
some others still unIDed.

>  Anyhow, the topic that night was old
>TV shows from the 50's. We talked for about 20 minutes on the air! He was so
>surprised that I could hear his station here in Tennessee as their night
>pattern goes north and south, away from Tennessee. BUT I hear them every
>night.

About 5 kW effective due north, but about 100 kW effective due south.

>Willis

Charles

Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
Greenville, North Carolina