[IRCA] CIGM

xxmugginsxx@xxxxxxxxx asked if anyone receives CIGM. I do on most nights. My
QTH is about 10 miles northwest of the heart of downtown Boston. CIGM
completely obliterates semi-local co-channel WSKO Providence. My reception
of CIGM is generally quite good on a Super Radio III barefoot. Looking at
CIGM's patterns, I'd have to say that the good nighttime reception here
appears suspicious. It could easily be explained by CIGM using either of the
two day patterns shown in CDBS. The two-tower version sends the equivalent
of more than 100 kW ND this way. The four-tower version sends the equivalent
of about 10 kW ND. The six-tower night pattern (CIGM's only night pattern as
far as CDBS knows) sends most everything due north and only about
100W-equivalent this way. Since WSKO is a very old station (I'm pretty sure
that, as WEAN, it was on 790 before CIGM came along and for sure, WSKO was
on 790 before CIGM went to 50 kW-U), there can be little doubt that CIGM's
six-tower night pattern was intended to protect WSKO (among others).

--

Dan Strassberg
dan.strassberg@xxxxxxx