[IRCA] Dern, same ole dial everyday.

At 06:19 PM 4/12/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>Chollie,
>Thanks Much!
>Don K.
>Charles A Taylor wrote:
> > Misto Kashkettdragger,
> > Good to see you spending a little time at the dials. I think I see
> > your situation clearly: same ole' BCB every day and night, ho-hum.
> > Yawn.
> > 73,
> > Chollie

Donnie,

Betimes I feel myself headed in that direction, i.e., same ole' dial.
But then something happens, and I feel otherwise.

Been on the DX grindstone since 1959, but there still seems something
mystical behind the dial...whether it be a digital, LED dial (like
the R8B's) or back-lit with a couple little dial lights (like the
R-390A).

Case in point: continual skywave bringing in a het from WIGN-1550 Bristol
(TN) on 1,549,870 all day long. I tried to determine who the off-freq.
station was, came to the conclusion that it was probably WBFJ Winston-
Salem. Bunch of e-mail back and forth, no it wasn't they, but I had an
interesting dialogue with the PD and the CE (both hams).

Finally, came to the conclusion it was WIGN, and then I dropped the matter.

BTW, I logged WBFJ couple months ago. Never logged them 1986 - 2001.
Didn't send a report, but maybe I will...without asking for a verie. Just
an audio clip.

Skywave isn't supposed to happen to that extent during the day.

Then WCLY-1550 Raleigh jumps down to 1,549,888. So now TWO hets on
1550! Hang it. Heterodynes are on the increase.

Finally re-logged WBSC-1550 Bennettsville at 0845 a few days ago. It
was getting to look like I'd not re-log them soon, what with WCLY,
WVAB-1550 Virginia Beach, the het from WIGN.

Since I restarted in 9/2001, I can say that I heard WBSC more often
from Indianapolis than from here!

NC tends to be on a convergence zone of a Gulf humid, warm high-
pressure area, and frequent dry, cool/cold high pressure areas from up
north. When the two meet, wide area refraction takes place and areas
of west NC, VA and SC "duct" in.

Always, something pulls me on.

If we have a MW "meltdown" because of IBAC, I figger I'll still be
listening.

73,

Chollie

Charles A Taylor, WD4INP