[IRCA] Life on Okinawa

At 10:06 AM 4/8/2007 -0400, you wrote:

>Maybe it's (censored) because of the language he used to describe the
>location!>>
>
>Well, it's warmer than the Misawa, Japan location he'd been living at for
>over 20 years. He will be training and managing chemical warfare activity
>for Chenega Corporation. I was sort of joking with the (censored), as I
>couldn't remember exactly what he was doing and for whom he would be
>working. He e-mailed yesterday to say he'd scored a decent apartment
>(bottom half of a house) with a nice view of the East China Sea, complete
>with new appliances and some furniture, so I think he's happy with the
>whole arrangement -pls.

Paul,

He's doing OK. Okinawa has weather similar to Bermuda, which is to say that
it gets quite warm and
humid during the warm season. I believe that the temp doesn't go over 88° F
because of the proximity
of the South China Sea. Winters get chilly, but no snow.

Roads are first class. Only way up north Okinawa are there any gravelled
country roads. Power is
reliable (Okinawa Power Corp.)

Hurricanes are a problem, but no one can build flimsy houses that are
likely to be damaged by same.

OKI is 400-some miles from Taiwan and the China mainland, and varying
distance from the island step-
ping stones that lead to the Japanese mainland.

Daytime seawave signals are plentiful from Taiwan, China, Japan and Korea.
The night-time MW DX
bands hops with signals from the above, and from Vietnam, Philippines,
USSR, Guam, Hong Kong,
Indonesia and Australia.

A ridge of high hills running up central OKI block TPs from North America
if one lives on the east coast
of OKI. I only logged (then) KPMC-1560 Bakersfield and KDAY-1580 Santa
Monica. Also KAIM-870 Honolulu.

But without a hobby, I wonder what he'll do for day-to-day fun. If he's
willing to learn Japanese, the
sky's the limit. If not, he'll be confined to the Golden Ghetto of the
American military community.

Charles

>Charles A Taylor, WD4INP

Greenville, North Carolina