Re: [IRCA] shichi-ju san, O-Kraigu-san

> Thank you. It's been twenty-three long years since we left
> Okinawa. I was getting passibly good in JJ. Grammatically
> correct.
>
> Learned 500 of the 2,000 Kan-ji characters taught in primary
> school, and learning more.
>
> Big ambition was to fly to the Mainland and rent a car and
> wander around Nagasaki and Kagoshima area.
>
> I applied to Navy Calibration Laboratory (which had a lab at
> the USMC Air Station). Said they'd keep me there in Okinawa.
> Then, they changed their mind and gave me orders to the lab
> at NAS Whidbey Island, Washington.
>
> Goodbye Japan.
>
> Nana-ju san (93)

Ah.  I sure wish I had the chance to live in Okinawa.  I've studied an
Okinawan style of karate for nearly 30 years, Uechi Ryu.  The head dojo was
in Futenma, Okinawa.  Other Uechi Ryu dojos were all over Okinawa, and even
up into Wakayama prefecture.  Never got the chance (yet) to go there.
Hopefully some day.  It's still on my list.  The head of the style, Kanei
Uechi passed away in 1991.  I got a chance to meet him once, at least.

Domo Arigato!

Craig Healy
Providence, RI