Re: [IRCA] "Long Ago on One Five One Oh:" Then and now

Re: [IRCA] "Long Ago on One Five One Oh:" Then and now

Charlie,

Your observations are totally correct. That is one thing we all miss is
local radio that is local. Also many more local IDs. I remember going
back a bit further when I worked for KVAS, it was all live and jingles &
ID's constantly. Really easy to ID stations and to get those QSLs. Radio
was "fun" to listen to. Stations like "Colorful KOL", or "KJR Seattle
Channel 95", "KISN radio", "610 KFRC", "93 KHJ". Local contests, fun DJs
and on and on. As music director of KVAS Astoria & KTDO Toledo OR, I
would drive to Seattle to meet with the different promo people and was
listening to stations like KJR, KOL, & KTAC driving up I-5, taking
mental notes of new hits that the stations were playing to ask about.  I
know for years about the only "real talk" stations on the dial in the
West were KGO (since 1962) and The Nightcaps on  KSL. That was pretty
much it. A bit later  Art Bell came on the scene. A different world to
say the least. No big corps owning stations. I think the old rules were
that a company could only own 7 stations. The breakdown of the clears
that started in the 60s, but really went into high gear by the 80s. The
two highpoints in the DXing career in my lifetime have been the change
in 1978 with two regions going to the 9 khz plan. That opened up a
fantastic window of DX that would have been impossible to log in the
past. The second was the X Band. First with no domestics using the band
leaving Asians & DUs there morning after morning in the 80s. Then more
TIS stations, logging several 10 watters (or less) coast to coast.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KAVT Reception Manager