-----Original Message-----
From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Patrick Griffith, N0NNK / WPE9HVW
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 1:22 PM
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Morse Code on 1220 ??

When travelling I-25 near Johnson's Corner I can hear a nearby 400 kHz
beacon on 800 kHz as I drive past. It was loud enough to overpower
semi-local KLDC when they were still on 800 kHz. This only happened on
the radio in my 96 Ford Bronco and did not happen on the radio in my 85
Corvette.

When I visited the Gillette WY Loran station I could clearly hear the
540,000 watt 100 kHz transmitter on several harmonic frequencies over a
considerable distance. On 700 kHz I could hear it clearly over 12 miles
away. This was again on my 96 Ford Bronco radio.

These were both direct harmonic multiples of the primary frequency and
did not have any noticeable effect from the IF frequency in my receiver.
However, in some cases the IF frequency or other nearby transmitters can
also effect the results. For example, a radio with a 455 kHz IF
frequency might translate a 382 or 383 kHz beacon to 1220 kHz (1220
minus 455 divided by 2 equals 382.5 kHz).

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
SBE Certified Broadcast Technologist
NRC Broadcasting - Denver
http://community.webtv.net/N0NNK/